“Ready To Take On Terror”: J&K Women Police Recruits’ Message To Pakistan
Jammu, June 19 — In a powerful display of grit and determination, a batch of newly inducted women police recruits in Jammu and Kashmir has sent a clear message across the border: they are prepared to defend their homeland against any threat. Their words come amid ongoing tensions along the Line of Control (LoC) and renewed cross-border infiltration attempts reported by security agencies earlier this month.
The recruits, who recently completed their training at the Police Training School (PTS) in Kathua, were addressing the media during a passing-out parade that saw over 500 women officers inducted into the force. “We are ready to take on terror. Pakistan should know that the women of Jammu and Kashmir are no longer just homemakers; we are guardians of our soil,” said Sameera Bhat, a 24-year-old recruit from Anantnag, her voice steady but firm.
This is not just rhetoric. According to data from the Jammu and Kashmir Police, women now constitute roughly 11 percent of the state’s police force, up from just 4 percent a decade ago. The current batch, the largest ever of women recruits, has undergone specialized counter-insurgency training, including weapons handling, close-quarter combat, and psychological warfare tactics.
Training that Breaks Stereotypes
The recruits’ journey from civilian life to police officer has been anything but conventional. Many come from districts like Pulwama, Shopian, and Baramulla—areas historically affected by militancy and separatist violence. For these women, joining the police force is not merely a career choice but a statement of resilience.
“Growing up, I saw militants threatening my village. My father was a teacher and was once beaten for teaching girls. Now, I carry a rifle and the authority of the law,” said Mariya Rashid, a 26-year-old from Kupwara. Her words reflect a broader shift in societal attitudes, where families are increasingly encouraging daughters to join uniformed services.
The training regimen included mock encounter drills, night patrols in simulated conflict zones, and lessons in cyber forensics. “We don’t just want to match men; we want to set new standards. If terrorists think women are soft targets, they are in for a surprise,” added recruit Pooja Sharma, who hails from Jammu’s border belt.
A Message Beyond Borders
The recruits’ defiance comes at a time when the Union Territory has seen a decrease in overall violence but an uptick in targeted attacks. In May, three Army personnel were killed in a gunfight in Poonch. Meanwhile, intelligence inputs suggest that over 100 trained militants are waiting in launchpads across the LoC in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK).
“We are sending a clear message: don’t test our resolve. These women are not just symbols of empowerment; they are operational assets,” said a senior police officer, speaking on condition of anonymity. He confirmed that the new recruits have been posted to some of the most volatile districts, including Rajouri, Poonch, and Kulgam.
Former Uttarakhand CM BC Khanduri Cremated with Full State Honours
In a separate but equally significant development, the former Chief Minister of Uttarakhand, Major General (Retd) Bhuwan Chandra Khanduri, was cremated with full state honours in Kotdwar on Wednesday. The 88-year-old veteran leader and distinguished Army officer passed away on Tuesday after a prolonged illness.
The funeral procession, attended by Governor Lt Gen Gurmit Singh (Retd), Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami, and leaders from across party lines, saw military honours including a gun salute and the playing of the last post. Khanduri, who served as Uttarakhand’s CM twice (2007–2009 and 2011–2012), was also a former Union Minister and a key figure in the infrastructure development of the hill state.
“He was a man of integrity. He taught us that public service is not about power but about duty,” said CM Dhami, placing a wreath on behalf of the state government.
During his tenure, Khanduri oversaw the completion of the Char Dham all-weather road project’s initial phases and pushed for better connectivity in remote border villages. His legacy is especially remembered in the Rajya Sabha, where he vocally argued for strategic roads along the China border. “Major General Khanduri understood that national security begins with infrastructure,” said former Army chief General Ved Prakash Malik, who attended the funeral.
Not in Favour of Permitting New Hydroelectric Projects in Upper Ganga, Centre Tells Supreme Court
In a landmark submission to the Supreme Court, the Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) has stated that it is “not in favour” of granting clearance for new hydroelectric projects in the upper stretches of the Ganga river. The affidavit, filed on Tuesday, cites ecological fragility and the need to preserve the river’s free-flowing character.
The submission comes in response to a petition filed by environmental activist GD Agarwal, who argued that dams and diversion structures in Uttarakhand’s upper Ganga basin have drastically reduced water flow and harmed aquatic biodiversity. The Centre’s stance effectively puts a stop to at least six proposed projects, including the 480 MW Kotli Bhel and the 120 MW Singoli-Bhatwari schemes.
“The ecological health of the Ganga, especially in its upper reaches in Uttarakhand, is non-negotiable. The river is not just a water body; it is a living entity, as declared by the Uttarakhand High Court in 2017,” the affidavit reads. The court has now sought responses from the Uttarakhand government and the Central Water Commission before the next hearing in August.
Environmentalists have welcomed the move but caution that existing projects, such as the 300 MW Vishnugad Pipalkoti, must also be reviewed for compliance. “This is a historic step, but the devil is in the enforcement. We need to see if the Centre will also decommission defunct barrages,” said Dr. Ravi Chopra, former member of the Ganga River Basin Authority.
Union Minister Bandi Sanjay Alleges ‘Smear Campaign’ by BRS, Denies Rumours
Union Minister of State for Home Affairs and BJP leader Bandi Sanjay Kumar has accused the Bharat Rashtra Samithi (BRS) of orchestrating a “systematic smear campaign” against him following the arrest of several individuals linked to a financial fraud case in Telangana. Addressing a press conference in New Delhi on Tuesday, Sanjay categorically denied allegations that his office was involved in any illicit transfers or property deals.
“This is a desperate attempt by the BRS to divert attention from their own corruption. I have never used my position for personal gain,” Sanjay said, adding that he would file a defamation case against those spreading “baseless rumours.” The controversy erupted after a local news portal alleged that Sanjay’s associates had extorted money from a real estate developer in Hyderabad.
Sanjay, who represents the Karimnagar constituency, has filed a complaint with the Election Commission and the Delhi Police, demanding a thorough investigation. The BRS, however, has countered that the allegations are a “testament to the BJP’s ‘dhobi ka kutta’ politics—neither here nor there.”
NEET UG Re-Test 2026 Aspirants to Get Free Bus Travel in Punjab from June 20 to 22
In a move to support medical aspirants, the Punjab government has announced free bus travel for NEET UG re-test candidates from June 20 to 22. The state’s Transport Department confirmed that Punjab Roadways and PRTC buses will allow students to travel free of cost upon showing their NEET admit cards.
“This is part of our commitment to ensure that no student misses the exam due to financial constraints or lack of transport,” said Punjab Transport Minister Laljit Singh Bhullar. The re-test, scheduled for June 23, follows a controversy over leaked papers in the initial exam held on May 5, which led to the cancellation of results in several states.
The free travel initiative covers all routes within Punjab, including inter-city and rural connections. Additionally, the state has set up 24-hour helplines for students to report any issues. The Union Health Ministry has also extended the admit card download deadline to June 21.
“This is a relief for us. I come from a village near Bathinda, and the bus fare would have been a burden on my family,” said Ayesha Khan, a NEET aspirant from Mansa.
Conclusion: A Week of Resilience and Reckoning
From young women in Jammu and Kashmir vowing to confront terror at the border to the Centre taking a historic stand on the Ganga’s ecology, this week’s news reflects a nation navigating multiple layers of complexity. The passing of a stalwart like BC Khanduri reminds us of the quiet service that shapes borders and infrastructure, while the NEET re-test saga highlights the systemic challenges that persist in India’s education sector.
But perhaps the most enduring image is that of Sameera Bhat, Mariya Rashid, and their batchmates, standing tall in their uniforms. In a region where violence has often silenced voices, these women are now armed not just with rifles but with the kind of resolve that changes history. Their message to Pakistan is not merely a headline—it’s a declaration of a new era.
As the nation watches these recruits take up their posts in forward areas, one thing is clear: the guardians of India’s borders are no longer just soldiers in khaki and olive green. They also wear bangles and bindis, and they are ready.
